Computers & Writing Systems
You are here: Type Design > Resources > Font Downloads
Short URL: https://scripts.sil.org/SILEzra_Feat
SIL Hebrew Font System Features (Obsolete)
Ezra and Unicode
This SIL Hebrew Font System is a pre-Unicode or “legacy” font system. It provides a means of working with biblical Hebrew texts in an encoding created by SIL in 1995. These fonts are superceded by Unicode-encoded Hebrew fonts, such as Ezra SIL.
The transliteration fonts in this package were made obsolete with the advent of Latin Unicode fonts, available with any newer OS. Only a keyboard is helpful (not required) for typing Hebrew transliteration. See last item in Ezra SIL package or Hebrew-Greek Transliteration Unicode Keyboard for Macintosh for two examples.
- Support for Biblical Hebrew, in the traditional square style of the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, 1983 edition.
- Support for vowels and cantillation marks with width variants. The non-GX version contains only four vowel width sets and fewer cantillation sets due to the 256-character limitation.
- Full, unambiguous representation of linguistic elements, such as the shewas and mater lectionis, allowing for linguistic analysis of texts.
- Automatic contextual support for vowels, cantillation marks, and final forms when using Keyman keyboard utility and included keyboard files. Use of the keyboard files also discourages incorrect character combinations being entered into a document.
- Support for extra-biblical punctuation, such as parentheses, period, comma, quotes, etc.
- Work in any application that uses TrueType fonts.
- Transliteration fonts are available in four styles: regular, italic, bold, and bold-italic.
- The transliteration font encoding matches the Hebrew font encoding.
- Includes a Microsoft Word 6.0 and Word 97 text reversal macro.
- Consistent Changes tables provide means of converting between Hebrew and transliteration, and between right-to-left and left-to-right.
GX Macintosh “Smart” Font Features (Obsolete on Mac OS 9 or later systems)
© 2003-2019 SIL International, all rights reserved, unless otherwise noted elsewhere on this page.