Computers & Writing Systems
You are here: Input > Tutorials
Short URL: https://scripts.sil.org/keyman_macos
Installing a Keyman keyboard on macOS
These are instructions for installing and using Keyman on macOS.
First install Keyman itself:
- Download the dmg (disk image) from http://keyman.com/macosx/.
- Double click the DMG file to open it.
- Drag and drop the Keyman app into the ‘Input Methods’ folder shortcut.
- Go to top-left Apple menu -> "System Preferences", then click on "Keyboard" and select the "Input Sources" tab.
- Click on "+" on the bottom-left, then find Keyman under "Multi-Language" and double click that entry to add as an input method.
- Click the tickbox "Show Input menu in menu bar" so you can more easily switch between keyboards.
Then install the desired keyboard
- Click on the input menu icon on your top-right menu bar (usually a little icon representing your keyboard locale) and select the Keyman icon to switch to it.
- (The menu will expand with Keyman-specific entries).
- Open the keyboard list by going to Keyman -> Configuration... then Keyboard Layouts tab
- Drag and drop the kmp (Keyman package file) that you have downloaded into the Keyboards Layout tab.
- (you should see a green plus on your mouse pointer indicating that it's ready to be installed)
- Click the tickbox to activate the desired keyboard(s) in the list.
- Dragging and dropping a new keyboard into the Keyboard Layout tab will automatically add the KMX, the INF and any HTML or PDF documentation under its own folder in your user directory in ˜ / Documents/Keyman-Keyboards/. (~ is the shorthand notation for your home folder: the full path is /Users/nameofuser/Documents/Keyman-Keyboards/). You can go to this folder, and into the keyboard-specific subfolders, to learn how to use the keyboard. WARNING: Do not delete the whole folder as it would uninstall the keyboards.
- You can select your keyboard by going to the top-right menu bar dropdown and choosing Keyman, then selecting the one you want under Keyman -> Keyboards.
- By default, the shortcut to change between to change between Keyman keyboards and other keyboards is Space (Control Space).
- (To change the shortcuts go to System Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts, Input Methods.)
- Now you can start typing with the selected keyboard in any text editor or application that uses standard macOS input methods.
- And you can turn your keyboard on and off as needed.
© 2003-2021 SIL International, all rights reserved, unless otherwise noted elsewhere on this page.